This crispy and delicious chicken salad is perfect for summer days. It is easy, has tons of flavor and it’s good for you. Instead of the calorie-laden versions, we used nonfat Greek Yogurt. Your guests will never know the difference!
Yields 6 to 8 servings
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or (can you substitute leftover roasted chicken)2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
2 chayotes, peeled, diced small
2 large carrots, peeled, diced medium
1 roasted red pepper, diced small
1 bunch chives, finely chopped (or you can use 1 tablespoon dried chives)
3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
4 oz. plain, nonfat yogurt, preferably Greek style
2 tablespoons basic mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the chicken in the chicken broth for 12-15 minutes, depending on the size of the breast, until it is well-cooked. Let stand and then cut the breast into small squares. (Keep the broth for cooking the chayotes and carrots.) If using leftover roasted chicken, simply skip this step.
- Cook the chayote in the chicken broth for 4-5 minutes over a medium-high heat, or until cooked. Remove from the stock and place in a bowl. Let cool.
- Cook the carrots in the chicken broth for 5-7 minutes over a medium-high heat until cooked. Remove from the broth and let cool.
- Mix together all ingredients (chicken, carrots, roasted red pepper, chives, chayotes and cilantro). Season to taste and let sit in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes until it is cool.
- Mix the ingredients of the dressing and add them to the chicken, making sure all the chicken is covered in the dressing. Cover with plastic and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour, to enhance flavors. The salad can be served at room temperature or chilled.