With 2019 in its infancy, now is the time to take a moment to reflect on the past year – the ups, the downs, the wins, the losses, the good times and the bad, the learning experiences, and what we wish to improve in 2019.
January is always a good time to set health goals – what we hope to accomplish, what we hope to change, and maybe even habits we resolve to quit. So, this New Year, why not decide to make 2019 your healthiest year yet?
Your New Year resolutions do not have to be a massive overhaul of your daily lifestyle, especially when thinking about your health. By making a few adjustments, 2019 can be your healthiest year.
Below are six tips from the CDC that will help you prioritize health and wellness in 2019:
2. Wash Your Hands. By washing your hands often with soap and water, you can help prevent the spread of infection and illness.
3. Make Healthy Food Choices. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables while lowering your daily salt and added sugars intake. A healthy eating plan emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fat-free or low-fat dairy products, and lean meats. Check out our DASH blog for more nutritional information.
4. Get Active. The recommended amount of exercise per week is 150 minutes. Start small by taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or parking further than your destination.
5. Be Smoke-Free. Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of preventable diseases and death in the United States. Quitting is hard work; however, smokers can and do quit: take it one day at a time. Keeping a positive outlook can help you get through.
6. Get Enough Sleep. Aim for at least 7 hours of sleep every night. Insufficient sleep is associated with a number of chronic diseases and conditions.
By making these adjustments, you can kick off your new year resolutions and start 2019 off with a BANG! Here’s to a successful and healthy new year for you and your family from all of us at SOMOS!