I love to combine savory dishes with tropical fruits. The sweetness of the mango and the spiciness of the sautéed spicy chicken is a match made in heaven. Plus, it’s a good way to get your family to eat fruit.
Yields 4 servings
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, fat removed
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
8 ounces baby spinach, washed and rinsed
3 ounces low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
2 teaspoons salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 fresh mangoes, finely chopped
1 red pepper, small dice
½ medium red onion, small dice
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, leaves only, finely chopped
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients for the mango salsa in a bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet. Add one teaspoon of olive oil, and once warm, add spinach and garlic, and sauté at medium heat until the spinach wilts. Remove from pan, discard excess liquid, and set aside in a medium bowl.
- Add the shredded cheese to the warm spinach and mix well.
- Cut a 3-inch pocket in the thickest part of each chicken breast Stuff with the spinach-cheese mixture. Close with a toothpick.
- Mix the cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Season each breast on both sides. You may cover and refrigerate for one hour or up to a day ahead.
- Heat the large ovenproof skillet at medium-high, add canola oil and once it is hot, place the chicken and sauté 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Transfer to oven and cook for 10-12 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 165ºF. Remove from oven and keep warm until ready to serve. Serve along with mango salsa.