Diego Ponieman, M.D.
CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER
Dr. Diego Ponieman is responsible for SOMOS Community Care clinical projects, which are focused on reducing avoidable hospitalizations through proactive, coordinated care and evidence-based interventions with Medicaid members who are at risk for or are experiencing chronic conditions such as diabetes, hypertension and asthma.
Diego Ponieman was born and raised in Buenos Aires, Argentina, where he completed medical school at the University of Buenos Aires. He completed his Internship and Residency at Albert Einstein/Montefiore Medical Center in New York City.
He later completed an Academic Fellowship in General Internal medicine at Mount Sinai School of Medicine where he still remains as a faculty member. He also sees patients as a Primary Care Physician at his private practice Metropolis Medical in upper Manhattan.
Diego continues to work on adding nutrition and lifestyle changes as a strong therapeutic intervention. He is working with SOMOS Community Care and underserved communities through local clinics in order to bring a food oasis with the hope to transform these food deserts into healthier neighborhoods.
Diego has led a team to aid the primary care team in the treatment of SUD in the office, by adding screening through SBIRT to facilitate Bupe certification and partnering with CBOs to work directly with our community providers.
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Montefiore Medical Center, Residency in Internal Medicine
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Fellowship in Internal Medicine
- Medical School – Universidad de Buenos Aires Facultad de Medicina
- Montefiore Medical Center (Internship)
- Clinical Excellence in Biopsychosocial Integration. Montefiore Medical Center Department of Family Medicine and Community Health
- Daniel C. Leicht, M.D. Award for Social Medicine Project.for Outstanding Achievement. RPSM. Montefiore Medical Center. Bronx N.Y.
- Outstanding Achievement in Teaching Medical Students. Leo M. Davidoff Society of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
Areas of Expertise
- Substance Abuse Disorder
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Preventive Medicine
- Chronic Disease Model
“The Statin Choice decision aid in primary care: a randomized trial.” Mann DM, Ponieman D, Montori VM, Arciniega J, McGinn T. Patient Educ Couns. 2010
“Impact of positive and negative beliefs about inhaled corticosteroids on adherence in inner-city asthmatic patients.” Ponieman D, Wisnivesky JP, Leventhal H, Musumeci-Szabó TJ, Halm EA.
“Predictors of adherence to diabetes medications: the role of disease and medication beliefs.” Mann DM, Ponieman D, Leventhal H, Halm EA.
“Misconceptions about diabetes and its management among low-income minorities with diabetes.” Mann DM, Ponieman D, Leventhal H, Halm EA.